July 6, 2012

Last summer I was reading one of my favorite blogs ( EAS's Let the Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore) when I learned about the Annual Sock Burning party they throw in Annapolis. I loved the idea so much, I introduced the tradition to our local marina on the first Friday afternoon after the equinox. 

I adapted the original poem written by Jefferson Holland to fit our little marina and asked our friend Kiki to help me read it aloud. . .
Photo by John Wright



 and then asked the youngest member of our 'crew' (you can see him in the foreground in the fun, blue pj's) to throw in the first pair of socks-and soon the fire was a-blazin'.
Photo by John Wright

Photo by John Wright




 The weather cooperated, and it turned out to be a perfect, early Spring day.


Complete with games,


libations 



and lots of talk about the upcoming sailing season!


I'm excited for this to become an annual tradition.



Thank you to all who made this a successful inaugural Sock Burning. 
Best, mMc


1 comment:

  1. That's SO very cool that you had your every own Sock Burning party! Congrats on starting a blog...I am sure it's going to be a lot of fun! xx

    ReplyDelete